Wednesday, March 18, 2009

a new role...a new challenge...

currently i'm rehearsing for a new musical that's gonna be staged end of next month called 'Prom the musical'... no, it's not broadway's 'Prom night the musical'..... this musical is more like highschool musical only it's in college and most of the songs are from random popular music and musicals.... this is the 1st time i've got alot of dancing involved.

the best part of this musical is that, they've casted me as one of the main cast where i have to play a bitchy, snobbish, over confident and arrogant senior name Sheila George. it's kindda ironic that the character's name is almost the same as my real name.hahahhaaaa~

well anyway, the 1st rehearsal was fun and i've got to know alot of talented new bunch and i've learned that most of them are still new and wanna try out in this industry.... i'm glad that they did because i don't wanna see all those talent goes to waste... to see them enjoying themselves is amazing because you know that they love what they do and by this i'm sure most of them are not gonna stop there, i want them to go far, i wanna see them in other productions outside. i know truly, deeply from the bottom of my heart that they WILL go far.

for my character, i've always thought that it would be so easy to play a bitch. i mean, it's easier to play that rather than an innocent little girl right? WRONG! i found out that being mean can be quite hard as well..... i tried analysing the character and tried to related to it but everytime i act it out, it just won't come out. i'll end up saying 'sorry' to that person of compliment them. which they said that my character can never do or else i'm not a bitch. so i try again but everytime we did script reading, i'll ended up crying my eyes out everynight before going to bed because i'm afraid that everyone would think that i'd annoy them. that's what i think anyway. i know it's part of acting, and no one would say anything because it's just acting, but to me, it's more than that, i tried so hard to be mean but i'll end up hurting myself more than i hurt others. i know i can't back away from this production anymore because i'm not a quitter, i've taken the challenge so i'm gonna do what i have to do even though this too hard for me to handle.

my target for this character is that, being a bitch, i hope that atleast some of the audiences can feel the hatred towards me.... to see a random audience staring at me after the show with those hatred eyes, i know that i've actually did it! i want people to hate my character simply because she is the person that everyone would love to hate anyway. some of my friend who saw the script would say that this character is very EVIL, 'such a bitch'....... but when i told them that i'll be playing that role, they'll just laugh at me and say that "it's probably ur eyes la"...... i dunno, but all i know is that i must do my best to make it work.....to make the director proud and my family to love me for who i am.

being in this musical with these talented casts have taught me to have fun while doing my job. laughter and bitching IS the best medication in life. :P to know that they'll be there for u until the very end is good enough, you'll have them to help you when you missed a class or sing wrongly or when you don't have a transport to go for rehearsal. i've found some really good friends that would help me no matter how hard it is and vise-versa la of course. i'm so glad that i've made alot of new friends.......although it's not much and i'm still learning their names, i know we'll eventually will get close before the show. some of us even click with the name 'the subang gang' that always get together to support our lovely cast members, no matter how far it is. :D

cheers

Shahila Johan www.shahila-johan.blogspot.com

<3

No comments: