Friday, December 19, 2008

a coincidence reunion to remember....

it's just like another day to kill...without any plans in the afternoon....waiting for the time to fly by because my dad wants me and my whole family to one of my cousin's son's birthday party. he was only 1 year old. i kept on thinking whether or not i should go because i know that i won't have so much fun.. i'll probably just sit at the corner of the living room with my 2 younger siblings because we don't really know this relative of ours that well... my sister eventually asked me whether i'll be going or not because i think that she might have the same thinking like mine earlier.... i simply answered "i'll go, but i'm only doing it for papa and nt for anyone else". i saw a smile on her face because indeed she had the similar thought that i had.



it was 8.30pm and we were there... a beautiful luxury condo in Bangsar, decorated with colourful ballons inside out. i was walking nervously infront of their door because i know that once i get in, i have to say hi to everyone...including those who i've never met in my entire life... i took a breath, and just walk in. 3 steps walking in just looking down on the floor trying hard not to make eye contact to anyone at all but then suddenly someone called my name with this unique high tone that is so familiar to me and my head just instantly rose up. she was there, seating at the coffee table with a fork on her left hand and a spoon on her right, looking towards me, smiling beautifully at me with those huge sparkled eyes, with hair tied back.



it was her, the person that taught me everything i know about singing and breathing technique and how to read musical notes and all. the person that never fails to force me to do better because she believed in me. she was indeed, my lecturer, Ms. Syafinaz.



when our eyes met, the first thing that came in my head was 'shit!' but i was so happy to see her, so i walked slowly towards her and greet her like a lost student who finally found her favourite lecturer. "how long has it been? how are you? what are you doing now?" are the questions that came out from the mouth... i answered her about everything. "yes, i read the newspaper the other day and saw some article about you, I'm so proud of you right now" is all she said to me....
getting to know that someone you can't pleased to be pleased with yourself is like your buying an ice cream cone with 1 scoop of ice cream but the ice cream gave another scoop for free... that's how i feel. after greeting her, i went and greet the other family members of mine and get on with our own thing.
1hour has past and someone was saying, "let Syafinaz play the piano! and her student can sing!"...i almost choked at my own water. of cause, being a good sport, Syafinaz sat infront of the piano and played two songs, 'smoke get in your eyes' and 'stranger in the night' beautifully...we were all amazed by her soprano voice. and then the moment came, she called me to sing, the first song i sang was 'angel'...i started soft because i was scared that she would judge me like she did with all the contastants in the reality show ONE IN A MILLION, but eventually, she didn't and she even flipped the music book to find another song for me to sing but this time i sang with my sisters, she palyed 'beautiful' and we sang but this time i didn't hesitate at all! yay! and last, she played 'a moment like this' and we sang together. i must say, she is so talented and i'm so proud that she was one of my vocal coach.

let's just say that we both had fun singing and laughing that day. she even agreed to see me perform next year in 'DanSing thru Broadway'. although i don't do much for that show, atleast she can witness the other young talents that's there to strike themselves at the spotlight on stage and i'm sure that this show will amaze her like this show did before. i am so happy that Ms. Farah Sulaiman called to join them in this awesome production.
so until next time. never let your hope dies before you'll never know who you'll meet and sometimes, miracles do happen!

cheers

Shahila Johan

<3

No comments: